Spring/Summer 2013 fashion trends are here!
Indeed, it’s my favorite time of the year, not simply because of the extra Vitamin D, but moreso for the fact that, sunshine gives us an excuse to whip out our sexy prints, and take on a brand new persona, crucially while remaining anonymous behind dark glasses – be honest, how many times have you glared at a fashion disaster in disbelief, only to thank God no-one spotted you!
Survey any neighborhood, and you’ll find, its rare to meet a woman who can pull off every single fashion trend, so the only way to stride ahead in the style stakes this season, is to get ourselves up-to-speed with the most flattering looks. This is why I have filtered through the complete calendar of spring/summer 2013 shows, to bring you the top 6 fashion trends, which will catapult your style game into the stratosphere, this summer:
Trend Alert 1: Lady Length Skirts
With sizzling temperatures on the horizon, it’s time to throw out your winter thermals and unleash your inner goddess, by wearing a lady length skirt. What I call old-skool with a modern twist, this style is incredibly elegant; the voluminous cuts and bold prints were used to maximum effect on the catwalks. Zoe Saldana, Jessica Biel, Jessica Alba are all huge fans, but they take their style cue from the first lady of fashion, Grace Kelly. Inspire your naysayers by rocking your skirt with a provocative cropped blouse or cami for a mixture of femininity and raciness. Alternatively, try pairing it with a chiffon blouse or a boyfriend shirt for a formal look.
- The bigger the volume the better
- Be daring and opt for a flower print or sheer skirt
- Pair with statement sunnies and chunky ornate jewelry
- Theme with a simple blouse for a classic and stylish look
Trend Alert 2: Crop tops
Dare to bare? Add subtle sex appeal to your ensemble by flashing a little skin in a cropped top. Celebs and their stylists are currently going bananas over this “cropped craze”, with the likes of Rihanna, Beyonce, Diane Kruger and Jennifer Lopez recently sporting this trend. I recommend wearing a cropped top with a skater skirt or Bermuda shorts for a casual look. For added glamour pair your top with a tight pencil skirt and high heels #MyMantraIs…the higher the heel, the bigger the impact!
- Wear your cropped top layered over a string camisole if you feel uncomfortable about baring your midriff
- Heels are compulsory for a sexy and confident look
- Try wearing your cropped top with wide legged pants and a blazer for an androgynous tomboy look
- Add an a-line skirt or high waisted shorts to create the illusion of curves
Trend Alert 3: Winter Wonderland Whites
Clean, sharp white was a key look on the catwalks, with a wide range of designers incorporating the hue into their seasonal collections. Seen at Celine, Balenciaga, and Prada, this is definitely one trend to invest in thanks to it’s trans-seasonal appeal; chic winter white is sure to carry through to Winter 2013. To keep the style on trend, wearing white, head to toe is a must so it’s probably best to avoid red wine!
Be playful and take a risk by choosing whites in different fabrics. Combine a white chiffon blouse with a white organza skirt for a sophisticated evening look, or a white boyfriend shirt with matching skinny jeans, a straw hat and oversized aviator shades during the day. If that sounds too far fetched, strike a compromise by pairing your white pieces with black and voila, you’ll capture the monochrome effect with ease.
- White is symbolic for purity and peace, so wearing all white outfits looks refreshing
- Choose whites in various fabrics and textures to help optimize your look
- Why not make a statement with a white blazer paired with gravity defying stilettoes
Trend Alert 4: Check Prints
Considered one of the key fashion trends of the season, checks were rampant on the catwalks! From Louis Vuitton to your favorite clothing lines, it’s officially hip to be square (pun intended). Whether you opt for small or large, diagonal or geometric, bold monochrome or graphic checks there is a design for everyone.
Try wearing a graphic check printed blouse with flared trousers, or checked trousers with a tank top for a laid back look. If you really want to stand out, buy a pair of checkered courts or deck shoes…go on I dare you! The possibilities are endless with this trend so, don’t forget to keep yourself in #check LOL!
- Ensure the rest of your outfit is neutral
- Don’t be afraid to clash your checks (i.e wearing small with large checks)
- Pair your checks with chunky jewelry
- Bring your checked outfit up-to-date with white pumps
Trend Alert 5: White Heels
You’d be crazy not to invest in a pair of white shoes this summer. No longer a fashion taboo, these beauties are an outfit game changer! If you need to update your wardrobe without blowing your budget, then you may as well let your shoes do the talking, sleek, sophisticated and ladylike this color will align you with the fashion heavy weights.
- #GoPointy or #GoHome
- Wear white shoes with bold prints or neons
- Opt for the “white out effect”, by donning white head to toe
Trend Alert 6: Overalls
A throwback from the 90’s – overalls are back with a bang! Overalls were once frowned upon in the fashion world, and had a reputation for being utilitarian; oh how times have changed. Pair your overalls with a crop top or striped blouse as this look has no bounds.
Opt for leather overalls for a luxe look layered with a jumper on top or a blouse underneath. Create a style revolution by pairing your overalls with pointy toe shoes for a dressed up look or wedges for a summery infusion. Alternatively theme your overalls with a plain tee, oversized sunglasses and sandals for a festival look.
- Denim overalls are versatile and can be styled with most items in your wardrobe.
- Check out your local thrift shop to locate overalls at a fraction of the price
- Amp up your spring summer wardrobe by opting for leather overalls
Read Vanessa’s 1st guest blog here: 10 Investment Pieces Every Smart Woman Needs in Her Wardrobe
Contact Vanessa Vernon for your personal styling consultation now:
Twitter: Click on the link: @jigsawstyling
Why not share this on Facebook or Twitter with your friends and click the red “subscribe” button to join hundreds of awesome readers to subscribe now.
GIVE US YOUR OPINION
Which trend will you be buying?
Are there any trends you love that aren’t on this list?